Welcome to the 8th Norwich!
Royal Naval Recognition
The 8th Norwich is one of 101 Sea Scout groups recognised by the Royal Navy for which it enjoys a number of privileges including access to the Admiralty Fund.
Recognition requires a periodic formal inspection to ensure that standards on all aspects of the Group are maintained.
The Fleet and Training
The Group is recognised by the RYA as a training establishment for sailing, powerboating and windsurfing. In addition courses are run for BCU canoeing and kayaking awards, and for first aid qualifications. All this is offered in addition to the very full programme of normal Scouting.
The fleet includes RS Vision, Topper and Pico sailing dinghies, slalom and sprint kayaks, open canoes, rowing dinghies, a pulling and sailing gig, a motor launch, a rib and smaller safety and rescue craft.
The Group runs copious weekend activities, including these:
- Canoeing and kayaking
Major Residential Events
The Groups prides itself on running a vast range of holiday activities. Typically, the annual programme includes:
- Hill-walking expedition during the autumn half term, usually in a mountainous area, and/or walking during the February term half term. Both are combined with other activities.
- A week’s training cruise on the Broads during the Easter holidays
- A two-week summer camp and a shorter alternative camp in the middle of August.
- A sailing course on the tideway during the May half term.
- A weekend Broads cruise for those in Years 7 upwards in late September or early October.
The Group and Membership
The Group operates two Cub Packs, two Sea Scout Troops and an Explorer Scout Unit (through a partnership agreement with the District).
The Group is sponsored by Norwich School for its members and therefore membership is open primarily to members of Norwich School and to siblings of members of the Scout Group. A small numbers of places may be available for others.
You may apply for a place any time after accepting a place in the School.
8th Norwich Sea Scout Group Noticeboard
Should we have given you a username and login for the website? Or are you having problems getting a new password (which is likely to occur when two website users share the same email address)? Use this form to tell us.